Coal contributes to around 86% of the thermal power and the rest is extracted from Lignite, Diesel and Gas. Growing demand, increasing industrial expansion, higher coal production, etc. have all contributed to the continued upsurge of the sector. The significant involvement of the private sector in India’s thermal power generation has necessitated financial viability, transparency, consistency and predictability in regulatory approaches, better infrastructure and adequate capacity building. However, entities functioning in the sector suffer from serious concerns including fuel security, suppressed demand projections, project cost overrun,
higher-end tariffs and policy paralysis.
We have assisted major energy companies, financial institutions, investment funds as well as governments and their agencies dealing in thermal energy generation and related services with their legal and compliance requirements. We understand the policy framework and provide strategic management of legal risks keeping in mind the commercial aspect of the business.
The services we render include:
- Assistance in reviewing, ensuring compliance and submitting the tender documents as well as reviewing Development / Concession Agreements in the bid stage itself.
- Assistance in incorporating Special Purpose Vehicles (SPV)
- Assistance in drafting and reviewing Engineering Procurement and Construction (EPC) Contracts, Joint Venture Agreements, shareholders Agreement and OMDA contract
- Assistance in establishing Claims Management and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for the Client.
- Advise on domestic and cross-border legal, tax and regulatory issues including obtaining relevant licenses and approvals
- Dispute Resolution
- Entry Level Strategy Planning
- Transaction Compliance
- Support with land and acquisition and due diligence