Sushant Shetty is a Partner in the Mumbai office of Fox Mandal and heads the Real Estate & Infrastructure Practice of the firm for the Western India region. Sushant regularly advises domestic and foreign clients on the due diligence, investment, and acquisitions in real property, with a particularly strong focus on commercial leases, manufacturing facilities, warehousing, renewable energy projects and data centre advisory. His clients include global fund houses, multinational corporations, property developers, property owners, local and international investors, statutory boards, banks and financial institutions.
Sushant practices primarily in the area of real estate and construction law including transactions pertaining to acquisition, disposition, leasing, and financing of residential, commercial, and mixed-use properties. He is familiar with all stages of the real estate development process including construction agreements, loan documents, and performing real estate due diligence. He is experienced in landlord-tenant as well as society matters. He also advises on the procedural aspects of stamp duty and registration of real estate documentation.
Sushant also handles general corporate matters dealing with capital structure, conventional financing, contracts, and entity formation including simple and complex structures involving joint ventures, corporations, partnerships, and trusts.
He also advises on setting up of data centers particularly with respect to planning, financing, due diligence, zoning, construction, leasing, colocation, operations and service level agreements. He further lends his expertise on issues pertaining to the Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Act, 2016, appearing for disputes before the Authority under the Act as well drafting of the Model Form Agreement for sale of units by promoters to allottee/s.
- BLS/ LLB, Government Law College, 2009
- Bar Council of Maharashtra & Goa
- ‘Draft data centre policy of India 2020: an overview’ (August 2021) and ‘Doctrine of suspension of rent on the basis of a force majeure event: the Delhi High Court view’ (October 2020) – IBA’s Real Estate Section Newsletter.
- ‘Coasting Along The Waters Of Fate: An Analysis Of The Supreme Court View’ – (November 2019) and ‘Lacunae in SEBI’s proposed REIT regulation in India’ – (January 2015) – IBA’s Asia Pacific Regional Forum Newsletter.
- Published article titled ‘KIIFB ‘accountable’ to CAG?: A legal viewpoint’ in The Times of India on November 19, 2020.
- On the advisory board of Elevator World (India edition), the premier journal for the international building transportation industry and regularly published legal articles of interest including ‘E(law)vating Your Thoughts’ – August, 2020 edition.
- ‘Lacunae in SEBI’s proposed REIT regulation in India’ – January, 2015 – IBA’s Asia Pacific Regional Forum Newsletter
- ‘Coasting Along The Waters Of Fate: An Analysis Of The Supreme Court View’ – November 2019 – IBA’s Asia Pacific Regional Forum Newsletter
- ‘E(law)vating Your Thoughts’ – August, 2020 – Elevator World (India edition), the premier journal for the international building transportation industry
- ‘Careers in Law’ detailing a career in law – the courses, institutions, co-curricular activities, and actual practice in the Education Reckoner – 2017.
- Regular columnist for legal advice with respect to property and co-operative society laws in leading erstwhile daily newspaper DNA and publishing articles of interest.
- Featured by Asian Legal Business as one of ALB India’s Rising Stars of 2022.
- Awarded the International Bar Association (IBA) Scholarship, 2012 for research paper titled ‘Structuring Real Deals: Aiming for “True Value” in Real Estate Transactions’
- Speaker at the International Bar Association Annual Conference in Seoul, South Korea in September 2019 on the topic ‘Saving the ‘Seoul’ of the city – the rebirth of downtown’ highlighting the challenges of development of heritage properties in Mumbai.
- ‘Speaker at the International Bar Association’s recent webinars on the topics ‘Setting up data centres and logistics projects: a real estate and regulatory view’ held on April 27, 2022 and ‘Force majeure and real estate contracts – a comparative jurisdiction analysis of Covid-19’ held on May 26, 2020.’
Moderator and Speaker for session on ‘Investigation Challenges: The More Things Change the More they Stay the Same’ at Global Legal ConfEx held at Mumbai on June 23, 2022.
Speaker at leading private sector banks on ‘Drafting of Wills & Succession Laws’ for their HNI and senior citizen clientele.
- Real Estate & Conveyancing
- Construction laws
- Corporate Commercial Laws
Data Center and IT/ ITeS
Industrial Unit, Park and SEZ
Warehousing & Logistics
Residential, Commercial & Township Development