The Indian Premier League (IPL) 2023 began on March 31, 2023, and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has modified the rules applicable to the same. The changes introduced are as follows: –
- In case any fielder moves unfairly when the bowler is bowling the ball, it leads to a dead ball, and a penalty would be imposed on the fielding side; the batting side would be provided with five penalty runs.
- Before commencing the game, four substitutes have to be selected by the respective teams who can replace a player from the XI, and if overseas players are chosen as the four substitutes, only an Indian can fill in the position of an Impact player. An overseas player can only assume the role of Impact player when fewer than four overseas players are in the XI.
- The teams need not choose the playing XIs before the toss (as followed till last season) and can do so after the toss.
- If overs are not completed within the given time, a penalty will be imposed on the team. In such cases, only four fielders or players would be allowed outside the 30-yard circle for every such over.
- The teams can seek a review of wides and no-ball calls, and the umpire’s decision regarding the same may be challenged.