The thirty-third issue of our monthly tax newsletter – Tax Inform, is out. Through these newsletters, we provide a compilation of key tax-related case laws, circulars, notifications, etc. issued by the authorities in the previous month, impacting entities and individuals operating in India.
The highlights of the current issue are:
Direct Tax –
Domestic Tax Rulings:
- Indian entity’s dividend income from its Oman ‘Permanent Establishment’ under DTAA is not taxable in India: Supreme Court.
- Section 80-IC deduction once allowed in initial Assessment Years, is also allowable in subsequent AYs: Calcutta HC.
- CBDT notifies amendments to Rule 11UA for share valuation under Section 56(2) (viib) of the Income-Tax Act, 1961, via Notification No. 81/2023 dated September 25, 2023.
- CBDT expands the list of IFSC-recognised stock exchange securities eligible for tax exemption.
- CBDT notifies Form 71, enabling taxpayers to claim TDS credit for income declared in the previous year.
- Corrigendum to include leased or rented house for valuing rent-free accommodation.
- CBDT notifies Rules and Forms for search & seizure provisions.
- CBDT extends the deadline for audits of charity institutions and ITR-7 filings to October 31 and November 30, 2023.
Indirect Tax –
Goods & Services Tax
- Gujarat HC grants bail in GST evasion case, cites non-issuance of notice by the GST Authority.
- AAAR holds that mixing perfume (not Jarda scent) with raw tobacco without fermentation does not amount to manufacture.
- AAR confirms the eligibility of ITC on inward supply of structural support of plants and equipment.
- Revenue Department establishes state benches of GST Appellate Tribunals.
- Revenue Department notifies the date for implementation of special procedure for manufacturers of pan masala and tobacco goods.